I am SO over studying for step…time to take yet another break. For some reason I’ve been feeling really energetic lately. I think it’s from all the frustration of sitting at a desk almost all day. My muscles were just fasciculating so I decided to go on a run. I love running because
- There are really hot people on Katy Trail.
- It’s the only time I allow myself to think about things that are bothering me (I think that’s a mature defense mechanism- Suppression right?).
- You’re allowed to wear your emotions on your face and no one’s really paying attention.
When I go running I always start off with the intention of thinking about what I’ve studied that day. This is a breakdown of what actually goes through my head:
Hmmm I should go over the endocrine stuff I learned today, ok, 17a-hydroxylase deficiency causes masculinization and hypotension. OMG I don’t want to keep studying for step…I feel like my whole mind is numbing from it. Blahhhhh I really want to go to Ice House. All those people look like they’re having so much fun! Maybe I could study there for step (think about that for 10 minutes). ….wow, that guy is really hot…. OMG that woman’s baby is SO CUTE. Shit, I’m almost 24 and my fertility is going to slowly drop…I wonder if I should freeze my eggs (contemplate that for like 10 minutes). I wonder how many people have actually followed Kanye’s workout plan. Hahahaha. RIP MJ. I can’t wait until Jersey Shore starts up again. I think I would take a year off school to do a reality show. I wonder what is going happen to them after the show is over. I should read their twitters. Speaking of Twitter, why the hell did Diddy change his name to swag…he should have changed it to WHACK. It would be so cool to have swag written on my white coat though…maybe I should do it too. Maybe I should really freeze my eggs. Then I get home and I’m like EFF I didn’t make it past 17a-hydroxylase.
And that’s pretty much what happens every time +/- a few deeper thoughts. Now, on to my food!!!!
My ice cream maker came in a couple of days ago so I decided to try to make a TON of ice cream. I really shouldn’t be eating ice cream because one of my teeth needs a filling and I get to around a 8/10 pain when something cold touches it. I know what you’re thinking- I DO BRUSH MY TEETH…I think I’m just prone to cavities…and I chew an unhealthy amount of gum. And I’m so lazy that I’d rather just eat on one side of my mouth than go to the dentist. For now I’m just going to give myself some Tylenol prophylaxis before I eat my ice cream.
I wanted to make a TON of ice cream and invite people over to try it. I finally settled on Blueberry Cheesecake, Caramel Macchiato, and Strawberry. The ice cream maker is super easy to use and so convenient. It makes about 1.5 quarts of ice cream with each bowel. I think the base of the ice cream maker has liquid nitrogen in it so you just put it in the freezer and wait for the liquid to freeze and then you can use it. I had made a batch of strawberry frozen yogurt yesterday to make sure I was using the machine right and it turned out GREAT. So then I figured ok cool…in the words of Jayden Smith “I can handle it.” The only problem is that the bowel starts to melt really quickly, which I DID NOT realize…fatal flaw. I ended up making really soupy strawberry frozen yogurt, soupy caramel macchiato, and blueberry cheesecake ice cream, which somehow turned out really well! YUMMM. Even though the other two flavors were not the right texture the flavor was really really good and I would totally eat/drink it anyway. Either way, any food that doesn’t require teeth to eat is always good. But next time I’m only going to make one batch at a time…
Blueberry cheesecake Ice Cream (adapted from Brown Eyed Baker http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2008/12/28/blueberry-cheesecake-ice-cream/)
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup water
1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Gram Cracker Filling
2 cups gram cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup butter, melted
Ice cream Mixture
1 ½ cups sugar
1 (3.4 ounce) package of cheesecake pudding (or vanilla)
1 quart heavy whipping cream (shit, that’s a lot…I know)
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar and cornstarch and stir until smooth (about 5 minutes). Add the blueberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the gram cracker crumbs, sugar, and ground cinnamon Stir in the butter. Pat into an ungreased 13.1 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until slightly brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ice cream ingredients. Prepare the ice cream in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions (MAKE SURE THE BOWL IS TOTALLY FROZEN BEFORE YOU START!).
- Crumble the graham cracker mixture. In a large container, layer the ice cream, graham cracker mixture, and blueberry sauce; swirl. Freeze.
I swear it tastes better than it looks!! I need to learn how to take better pictures and get a better camera because mine is kind of jankEven though it looks gross it was a success!! People really like it! I think I’m going to take my friends advice and drop out of med school and start an ice cream company. Either Anita cream (this one has so many good tag lines that can be associated with it), or brown bell…..