OMG I just took 1.5 days off my step studying because my fam came into town…I already feel incredibly behind. My brother flew home from school for the summer and my rents wanted to come for the weekend. It is really funny how different my brother and I are. For example, I am feeling really guilty for not studying and he just realized that he has to take the SAT in less than one week and he still hasn’t started studying. But I guess our priorities our different. In high school I used to hate practicing violin so much and was always really unprepared for auditions. One time I even got demoted to a lower orchestra because I pretty much site read my piece. And my violin teacher told me to quit because I would just talk through my lesson and never even open my case…
One thing we do have in common is being insatiable epicureans and having a shared disdain for the same people (i.e. our parents…jk). And we also love getting diet cherry limeades at Sonic. Sometimes we just look at each other, don’t say a word, get in the car, and end up at Sonic! I can’t wait until 4th year when I get my part time job there so I don’t have to pay for them anymore.
So Memorial Day usually marks the beginning of summa time. This year, my summer is going to consist of 3 weeks of misery + 1 week of fun. I decided to start off the summer the same way I’ll end it: pure decadence. This was my first time to make a real pie with a crust on top too! I wanted to try to lattice the top but I don’t think I made enough dough…I also don’t have those kind of skillz. I thought my brother would help me with this but my parents got so pissed that he hadn’t started studying for the SAT that he was forced to read Barron’s or whatever that book is called. Regardless, the pie turned out delicious! I am so full from eating this that I know I’m going to sleep well tonight! I really think they should add eating a massive piece of dessert to the list of things under good sleep hygiene!
Blueberry Blackberry Pie (adapted from http://www.allrecipes.com)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cut shortening into 2 cups flour and salt until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water 1 tablespoon at a time until flour is moistened. Gather into a ball, and roll out onto a lightly floured board. Make two rounds. Place one crust in a 9 inch pie dish.
- Mix sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Stir in berries to coat. Turn filling into pastry lined pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice, dot with butter. Cover with top crust; cut slits in the top. Seal and flute.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes. Cover edges with foil to prevent burning, and remove foil for last 12 minutes of baking.
Next time I would probably add more cornstarch because the filling was a little runny but it was still good! I’m also gonna make vanilla ice cream to go with this next time! Then I’m going to eat it, go into a food coma, and die in utter bliss.
Also, I can’t resist: PIE IN THE SKY!!!!! Quick, where’s the lesion?